by Richard Shryock
While any language will be useful for some jobs or for some regions, French is the only foreign language that can be useful throughout the world as well as in the United States.
French as a foreign language is the second most frequently taught language in the world after English.
The International Organization of Francophonie has 51 member states and governments. Of these, 28 countries have French as an official language. French is the only language other than English spoken on five continents. French and English are the only two global languages.
When deciding on a foreign language for work or school, consider that French is the language that will give you the most choices later on in your studies or your career.
French, along with English, is the official working language of
- the United Nations
- Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD)
- the International Labor Bureau
- the International Olympic Committee
- the 31-member Council of Europe
- the European Community
- the Universal Postal Union
- the International Red Cross
- Union of International Associations (UIA)
French is the dominant working language at